Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Story

I love a good story.  When I was younger I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and often found myself day dreaming about life in Narnia.  I was captivated by those stories of kings and queens and talking animals and of the great lion, Aslan.  I also loved reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.  These incredible stories of good triumphing over evil were captivating to me.  What is it about a good story that we just lose ourselves in?  
Recently I finished reading “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years” by Donald Miller.  In his book, Miller talks about what makes a story great.  He discusses that what makes a story great is also what makes a life great.  He talks about character development and how we deal with the problems we face.  Life isn’t easy all of the time.  In fact Miller writes that if the story doesn’t have some kind of problem to overcome it won’t be a great story.  Perhaps that’s why these stories are my favorites; because the characters face seemingly impossible situations which they overcome by the help of some good force.
My question is “What kind of story am I telling with my life?”  Is my story compelling?  Do I overcome the obstacles I face and develop my character?  Would anyone be interested in my story or is it boring?  We tell stories with our lives.  Sometimes we tell great stories and other times our stories are more of a tragedy.  Both Lewis and Tolkein knew the great Good that lies behind life and bore witness to it in their stories.  Will we bear witness in the stories that we will tell with our lives?  Will our stories be compelling to others?  Will we allow God to develop our character through His grand story?  So go read a good book and go tell a better story.

No comments:

Post a Comment