Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream

Back in the Fall I decided I should start attending the Men's Bible Study at Mechanic Grove.  The catch was that it meets at 7:00 Saturday morning, and I struggle to operate that early on Saturday morning.  But it turned out to be an incredible blessing as I began to meet and have conversations with men of different ages.

Our focus has been guided by "Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream" by David Platt.  The book focuses on how we were created to proclaim the glory of God.  Platt discusses how our pursuit of the American Dream and materialism has taken us away from our goal of proclaiming God to the nations.  Platt advocates for a reduction in our pursuit of material wealth and radical devotion to God.  He shares many stories of people in his faith community who have sacrificed their own pursuit of the American Dream in order to allow themselves to better proclaim God's glory to the nations.

One story he shares that hit me was about a business man who wrestled with what Platt was saying about giving up our stuff.  The man came to the conclusion that he couldn't see God telling him when he got to heaven, "I wish you would have spent more time building wealth for yourself" (my paraphrase).

Platt discusses how millions of people are dying every day of starvation, poor water and preventable disease.  Billions more are doing so without a knowledge of Christ.  He also bears witness to millions in the underground church who have a fire for God not found in comfortable "Christian" America.

The book has some very provocative ideas.  The discussion within the Bible study has been incredible and convicting.  It has been interesting for me to read this book.  The theology used to build his case is somewhat Reformed which is very different for an Ana-baptist audience.  But the living out is very similar.  I think the discussion of how materialism is taking over in the American church is one that needs to take place and Platt's book helps to advance that conversation.

One of the men in the Bible study is fond of reminding us, "It's just like the title says.  It's radical."  But maybe that's the way a disciple is supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. This book completely turns the average person's idea of the "American Dream" upside down (Hence the upside down house on the cover. Don't feel bad, I thought it was a mask too:).One of the questions I had while reading it though was, "What would happen if every Christian in America did everything in this book?" It would most likely change the face of the earth. However, I must say that I do not agree doctrinally with everything he says, though I won't go into detail. Overall, with this books useful tips and convicting message, I think it is a good book, despite the few doctrinal errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I thought it was a challenging book as well. I agree about some doctrinal things that I'm not on board with. As I wrote in my review, I'm coming from an Anabaptist perspective and some of the Reformed thinking and other parts make me squirm.

      Delete